Dunfermline Athletic

Partick Thistle 3 Dunfermline 0

Saturday, 30th Sep 2023

cinch Championship: Alex Jakubiak in for Ben Summers. Scott Robinson (21) 1-0: Brian Graham (49) 2-0: Kerr McInroy (69) 3-0:

Dunfermline headed west trying to win just their second league match at Firhill since September 2010. In January this year the sides met there in the Scottish Cup when the hosts won 4-2 on penalties but the Fifers were aiming to make it three wins in three consecutive league matches. On the other hand Partick were out to avenge a 3-0 home defeat to Arbroath the previous Saturday.

In addition to those already on the injury list - Kyle Benedictus, Rhys Breen, Matty Todd, Kane Ritchie-Hosler and Andrew Tod - Dunfermline were without Ben Summers and there was no Paul Allan. Alex Jakubiak came into the starting eleven in Summers absence, it was the 27 year old striker’s first start for the Pars and it came against a club he made 14 appearances for in the latter half of the 2021-22 season. The bench contained three of the U18s from the previous evening’s 3-0 win over Partick Thistle. Zander Mackenzie and Ben Stanway dropped out of the Thistle starting eleven with the 21 year old loanee from Aberdeen, Kieran Ngwenya and former Par, Scott Robinson replacing them.

Chris Hamilton led the Fifers out between the red and yellow chequered flags that added colour to a rather grey final day of September. He led the recognition to the Dunfermline fans who were housed in the Colin Weir Stand with the North West banner aptly taking up its correct geographical location.

Craig Wighton kicked off with the visitors attacking the goal at open end of the stadium. Within two minutes however there was a big chance for Thistle when Steven Lawless gathered a cross from the left and turned it back for Brian Graham in front of goal. He looked destined to open the scoring but his effort was turned over the crossbar. Two corners followed where the home side threatened but the defence held strong.

Thistle had made a good start to the game and it was 12th minute before Dunfermline got a shot at goal, Lewis McCann’s left footed effort from 20 yards out being blocked. Further Thistle shots from Graham and then Aidan Fitzpatrick were sent sailing over the crossbar before McCann met an Edwards cross and directed his header narrowly wide. His eighteenth minute attempt, the best this far for the Fifers.

The opener came in 21st minute but at the other end after Partick keeper Jamie Sneddon launched the ball up the park, Graham headed on and ROBINSON took the ball down off his chest to fire left footed into the Pars net. 1-0

Dunfermline reacted strongly and had their hosts pinned back. Jakubiak drove forward and there were shots from Michael OHalloran and Joe Chalmers had shots blocked before after an Edwards drive, Hamilton was desperately unlucky to see his attempt deflected over the bar. Jakubiak set up McCann for another shot but his sights were too far left of the target.

In 31 minutes McCann was sent through the middle and his lay off to Jakubiak on his left created the opportunity for a drive on target that hit a Thistle arm but no penalty was the decision. Three minutes later Otoo ventured forward and when he chose not to shoot but square for someone else, Comrie’s shot was halted by a defender amidst strong appeals for a spot kick.

Harry Sharp was alert to hold a Fitzpatrick flick on from Lawless before his counterpart Jamie Sneddon palmed a fierce Jakubiak shot over his crossbar. A long throw in from Edwards was defended and again play swept to the other end where Sharp won the one on one with Lawless.

It had been a good attacking first half with 25 attempts at goal. Kerr McInroy was really unlucky with the final one of the half, so there was just the one goal deficit at the break.

Half time: Partick Thistle 1 Dunfermline 0

The second half continued like the first with more free flowing football but the home side scored through GRAHAM in 49 minutes. Sharp was unlucky not to hold a Fitzpatrick shot and the 35 year old had a simple chance to finish. 2-0

Owen Moffat was introduced in place of Alex Jakubiak but it was an O’Halloran cut back that set up Wighton in 57 minutes. Alas his shot on the spin drifted wide left. McCann won a corner on the left but the Jags broke on that to score their third. There were three blue shirts tracking Fitzpatrick up the left but he sent a diagonal ball towards goal where McINROY dipped to head home. 3-0

Sharp held a popped effort from Graham before the Fifers were awarded a 65th free kick 27 yards out when Fitzpatrick downed Hamilton. The situation was primed for a McCann rocket but unfortunately he cleared both the wall and the crossbar.

Tomi Adeloye replaced Brian Graham who was on a yellow card midway through the half and immediately imposed himself on the match. Sharp did well to block his first effort and then Otoo cleared his next off the line.

Wes McDonald replaced Aidan Fitzpatrick and the sub was involved in building Thistle’s next chance that Lawless sent wildly over the top. Then in 79 minutes Adeloye pinged an effort narrowly outside the right goalpost. Sneddon turned an Edwards cross behind for a late corner. The Pars valiant efforts to claw something back repeatedly fell on stony ground, it just wasn’t to be their day.

Sharp beat away an 84th minute shot from McDonald and Sneddon turned a good attempt from McCann around his right hand post. In added time Sharp saved a blistering shot from Adeloye but it would be a disappointing day for James McPake’s side and the 773 strong travelling support.

The result took Partick Thistle up to third place, Dunfermline dropped to sixth.

PARTICK THISTLE: Jamie Sneddon: Kieran Ngwenya, Aaron Muirhead, Lewis Neilson, Harry Milne: Steven Lawless, Kerr McInroy, Stuart Bannigan (Blair Alston 79), Scott Robinson (Ben Williamson 79), Aidan Fitzpatrick (Wes McDonald 73), Brian Graham (c) (Tomi Adeloye 68).
SUBS NOT USED: Zander Mackenzie, Ben Stanway, Nathan McGinley, Rico Diack, David Mitchell (GK)
SCORERS: Robinson (21), Graham (49), McInroy (60)
YELLOW CARD: Milne (18), Graham (59), Bannigan (63)

DUNFERMLINE: Harry Sharp: Aaron Comrie, Sam Fisher, Ewan Otoo: Chris Hamilton (c): Michael O’Halloran, Joe Chalmers, Josh Edwards: Craig Wighton, Alex Jakubiak (Owen Moffat 53), Lewis McCann.
SUBS NOT USED: Miller Fenton, Liam Hoggan, Ewan McLeod, Jake Sutherland, Deniz Mehmet (GK), Max Little (GK).
YELLOW CARD: Hamilton (63)

REFEREE: Colin Steven
WEATHER: Overcast 14°C

NEXT MATCH: cinch Championship: Saturday 7th October 2022, (home) v Arbroath, kick off 3.00pm at KDM Group East End Park

Views : 521

Related Stories

Archived website
This website served as the official Dunfermline Athletic website from season 2006-2007 until season 2022-2023.

Stories, match reports and interviews for these seasons can still be accessed here.

The current DAFC website with up to date information is on this link https://DAFC.co.uk
DAFC Archives
Dunfermline Athletic Heritage Trust. Information on past players, fixtures, league tables and archives can be found at www.daht.org.uk
For Season 2023/2024 SPFL regulations mean that on a Saturday afternoon we have to offer a Subscription service for overseas viewers. This will either be a monthly or a yearly subscription (on a Saturday it is FOR OVERSEAS viewers only - some dates are exempt.) https://ParsTV.co.uk
Recent Stories
    Hot Stories
      • /files/business_clubadvert_3633.jpg
      • files/Newsletter_advert_9112.jpg
      • files/PF_logo_8205.jpg
      • files/sms2_red_copy_8356.jpg

      To top